Nicotine Lozenge Dosage
General Information on Using Nicotine LozengesSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with nicotine lozenges include the following:
- This medication comes as a lozenge that dissolves in the mouth. The normal dose is one lozenge, every one to eight hours, for 12 weeks (or sometimes longer).
- Do not chew or swallow nicotine lozenges. Allow the lozenge to slowly dissolve in your mouth, over 20 to 30 minutes. Try not to swallow the medication as it dissolves.
- Occasionally move the lozenge from one side of your mouth to the other as it dissolves.
- Do not use more than one lozenge at a time. Also, do not use more than 5 lozenges in 6 hours, or more than 20 lozenges in one day. Using more than recommended may increase your risk for side effects.
- It is normal to feel a warm, tingling sensation as the lozenge dissolves.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for 15 minutes before using a nicotine lozenge, or while it is in your mouth. Any food or drink before or during use may decrease the amount of nicotine absorbed into your body.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of nicotine lozenges, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.