An overdose of Navelbine (vinorelbine) is unlikely to occur, as this chemotherapy drug is administered by a healthcare provider. However, an unintentional overdose could result if the dosage was miscalculated or other errors occur. Too much of this drug may cause infections, paralysis, and even death. Treatment will usually involve supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur.
Navelbine® (vinorelbine) is a prescription medication that belongs to a class of chemotherapy medicines called vinca alkaloids. It is approved to treat a certain type of lung cancer known as non-small cell lung cancer, and is also used off-label to treat other types of cancers.
This medication is normally given as an injection by a healthcare provider, in a healthcare setting. Therefore, an intentional overdose is not likely to occur.
However, as with most medicines, it is still possible to receive a Navelbine overdose. For example, an overdose could occur if the dosage was miscalculated and too much of the drug was given.
The specific effects of an overdose would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, such as the Navelbine dosage and whether it was combined with any other medicines or substances.
Based on reports of overdoses with Navelbine, possible effects may include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Slow movement of food and liquid through the intestines, which could cause constipation or intestinal blockage
- Swelling, sores, or ulcers in the mouth or throat
- Slight or partial paralysis (an inability to move)
- Low levels of white blood cells, which would increase the risk for infection
- Low levels of red blood cells, which would increase the risk for anemia
- Low levels of platelets, which would increase the risk for bleeding
- An infection in the blood