Lung Cancer Home > Xalkori Dosage
If you have advanced non-small cell lung cancer, your healthcare provider may start you on Xalkori. The standard dosage of this medication is usually 250 mg taken twice daily. However, if you develop serious side effects or other problems, you may need a lower dose. It is important to swallow the capsules whole and to not drink grapefruit juice while taking this medicine.
An Introduction to Dosing With XalkoriThe dose of Xalkori® (crizotinib) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on how you tolerate the medication. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Xalkori Dosage GuidelinesThe standard dose of Xalkori for the treatment of advanced non-small cell lung cancer is 250 mg twice daily. Treatment usually continues until the medication no longer appears to be beneficial.
People who experience certain serious Xalkori side effects, such as low blood cell counts, liver problems, and heart rhythm problems, may need to stop taking this drug. Once the side effect improves, Xalkori may be restarted at the usual dose, or at a lower dose.
If a dose reduction is necessary, the amount of Xalkori is normally first reduced to 200 mg twice daily. If further dose reductions are needed, the amount is then usually reduced to 250 mg once daily.
General Information on Taking XalkoriSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Xalkori include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a capsule. It is normally taken by mouth twice daily.
- You can take Xalkori with or without food.
- The capsules should be swallowed whole; do not open, crush, or dissolve them.
- You should avoid drinking grapefruit juice while taking this medicine, unless your healthcare provider tells you otherwise.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Xalkori dosing in general, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.