Lung Cancer Home > Toposar Side Effects
Significant and potentially severe side effects may occur with Toposar, so it is important to know which reactions require immediate medical treatment. For example, contact your healthcare provider immediately if you develop fever, extreme weakness, or unusual bleeding. Some of the most common reactions to this drug include hair loss, nausea, and diarrhea. Your healthcare provider may have recommendations for how to minimize side effects.
An Introduction to Toposar Side EffectsAs with any medicine, Toposar® (etoposide injection) can cause side effects. In fact, most people will experience some type of reaction to this drug. As with other chemotherapy medicines, Toposar side effects can be significant. Talk to your healthcare provider about ways to prevent or lessen reactions to this medicine.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Toposar. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects With ToposarToposar has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in people using Toposar were carefully documented. As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred and how often they appeared.
In these studies, the most common Toposar side effects included:
- A decrease in white blood cells -- in up to 91 percent of people (see Chemotherapy and Infections)
- Hair loss (alopecia) -- up to 66 percent (see Chemotherapy and Hair Loss)
- Nausea and vomiting -- up to 43 percent (see Chemotherapy and Nausea)
- A decrease in blood platelets -- up to 41 percent (see Blood Clotting Problems and Chemotherapy)
- Anemia (low red blood cells) -- up to 33 percent (see Chemotherapy and Anemia)
- Loss of appetite -- up to 13 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 13 percent (see Chemotherapy-Induced Diarrhea)
- Mouth sores or ulcers -- up to 6 percent (see Mouth and Gum Problems During Chemotherapy).