Lung Cancer Home > Toposar Overdose
Although an overdose of Toposar (etoposide injection) is unlikely, the possibility exists, since a healthcare provider could miscalculate the dosage. If you have received too much of this chemotherapy drug, you may experience dangerously low blood cell counts, fever, and low blood pressure. Treatment will likely involve close monitoring and providing supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Receive Too Much Toposar?Toposar® (etoposide injection) is a prescription medication used to treat certain types of cancer. As with most medications, it is possible to overdose on Toposar.
Symptoms of an OverdoseBecause this medicine is usually given by a healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, an intentional overdose is unlikely to occur. However, too much could be given if the dose is miscalculated, or if other medications or medical conditions affect the body's ability to process and remove Toposar.
- Dangerously low blood cell counts, which could cause anemia, bleeding, and infections
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Mouth or throat sores, ulcers, or swelling.
Treatment for a Toposar OverdoseThere is no specific antidote for a Toposar overdose. Therefore, treatment will mainly involve close monitoring and supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Supportive treatment options may include:
- Medications to treat severe nausea and vomiting
- Intravenous (IV) fluids
- A blood transfusion if severe anemia or bleeding occurs
- A granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) medication, such as filgrastim (Neupogen®), to stimulate the bone marrow to make more white blood cells.