Lung Cancer Home > Paclitaxel
- Paclitaxel is given through an IV. Each infusion is given over a one-hour period.
- You will need to take medications before each dose in order to prevent fluid retention and allergic reactions. Usually, these medications include dexamethasone (Decadron®), diphenhydramine (Benadryl®), cimetidine (Tagamet®), or similar medications.
- Most people receive their injection at their healthcare provider's office, hospital, or at an "infusion center."
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Paclitaxel will not work as well if you stop taking it before your healthcare provider recommends.
- The type of cancer being treated
- Your height and weight
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.