Lung Cancer Home > Nicotrol NS
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nicotrol NS include the following:
- This medication comes as a nasal spray. It is usually sprayed once or twice in each nostril every hour.
- Do not use the nasal spray more than 5 times in one hour or 40 times in a day.
- Nicotrol NS should be used as a part of a complete quit-smoking program that includes support groups, counseling, or behavioral change strategies.
- You should avoid smoking, chewing tobacco, using snuff, or using any other nicotine products while you use this medication. Using more than one nicotine product increases your nicotine blood levels, increasing your risk for side effects.
- The nasal spray should be "primed" before the first use, and again if it is not used for 24 hours. To prime the medication, pump the bottle into a tissue until you see a fine spray. This usually takes six to eight pumps.
- To use Nicotrol NS, first blow your nose if it is not already clear. Then tilt your head back slightly, insert the tip of the bottle into your nose, and spray one time. Avoid sniffing, swallowing, or inhaling while spraying the medication, since the medication is absorbed through the lining of the nose. Repeat into the other nostril.
- Nicotrol NS comes with an information sheet explaining the proper way to use it. Read this sheet carefully before using this medication and each time you get your prescription filled. Ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have any questions about how to use this product.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.