Lung Cancer Home > Nicotine Lozenge
Drug InteractionsAlthough the nicotine lozenge is not likely to react with most medicines, just the act of stopping smoking may affect a number of other medications (see Drug Interactions With Nicotine Lozenge).
What If I Overdose on This Medication?An overdose with this medication may cause a variety of symptoms, some of which may be dangerous. Seek immediate medical attention if you may have overdosed on this medication.
What Should I Do If I Forget a Dose?If you forget a dose of the nicotine lozenge, you can use it as soon as you remember and then return to your normal dosing schedule. Do not use two lozenges at one time.
How Does It Work?The nicotine lozenge is a nicotine replacement medication. It replaces the nicotine your body was accustomed to getting from cigarettes. As it dissolves in your mouth, it releases a controlled amount of nicotine. This helps to reduce symptoms of nicotine withdrawal that occur when you stop smoking.
When and How to Use This ProductSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with the nicotine lozenge include the following:
- This medication comes as a lozenge that dissolves in the mouth. The normal dose is one lozenge, every one to eight hours, for 12 weeks (or sometimes longer).
- Do not chew or swallow nicotine lozenges. Allow the lozenge to slowly dissolve in your mouth, over 20 to 30 minutes. Try not to swallow the medication as it dissolves.
- Occasionally move the lozenge from one side of your mouth to the other as it dissolves.
- Do not use more than one lozenge at a time. Also, do not use more than 5 lozenges in 6 hours, or more than 20 lozenges in one day. Using more lozenges than recommended may increase your risk for side effects.
- It is normal to feel a warm, tingling sensation as the lozenge dissolves.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for 15 minutes before using the lozenge, or while it is in your mouth. Any food or drink before or during use may decrease the amount of nicotine absorbed into your body.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.