Lung Cancer Home > Nicorette Gum Dosage
General Information on Using Nicorette GumSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Nicorette Gum include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a gum. The normal dose is one piece of gum, every one to eight hours, for 12 weeks (or sometimes longer).
- Nicotine is only released from the gum when it is chewed; only a small amount of nicotine will be released if the gum is swallowed without chewing.
- Do not chew more than 24 pieces of gum in one day.
- To use this product, slowly chew one piece of gum until it tingles, and then place it between your cheek and gum. When the tingling stops, chew the gum again until the tingling returns. Repeat this process until the gum no longer tingles, which usually takes about 30 minutes.
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for 15 minutes before using the gum, or while the gum is in your mouth. Any food or drink before or during use may decrease the amount of nicotine absorbed into your body.
- If you still have strong cravings after chewing a piece of gum, you may use one additional piece within the hour. However, do not continuously chew one piece after another, as this will increase your risk for side effects.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as directed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Nicorette Gum, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.