Lung Cancer Home > Iressa Dosage
The recommended Iressa dosage for treating non-small cell lung cancer is 250 mg once daily. Research has shown that amounts higher than this do not increase the effectiveness of the medication, but can increase the risk for side effects. However, you may need to take 500 mg of Iressa a day if you are taking certain other medications.
The dose of Iressa® (gefitinib) your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The standard recommended dose of Iressa for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer is 250 mg once a day. Higher amounts have generally not been shown to be more effective, but can increase the risk for developing side effects. If you take certain other medicines, your healthcare provider may recommend you take Iressa 500 mg a day (see Iressa Drug Interactions).
People who experience certain potentially serious Iressa side effects, such as severe diarrhea, lung problems, or eye irritation, may need to stop taking Iressa until the side effects improve. Once the side effects improve, a healthcare provider may choose to restart Iressa treatment.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Iressa include the following:
- Iressa comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food.
- Try to take your dose at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medicine in your bloodstream.
- People who have difficulty swallowing Iressa can dissolve the tablets in half a glass of water and drink the water. Other liquids should not be used to dissolve the medication.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking Iressa just because you feel better.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.