Lung Cancer Home > Alimta Overdose

The symptoms of an overdose with Alimta (pemetrexed) would probably be similar to the normal side effects, but perhaps more severe. Mouth sores, anemia, and low blood platelets are some of these possible symptoms. Leucovorin (a medication similar to folic acid) may be given to aid in recovery from Alimta toxicity. Treatment will also involve monitoring and treating any overdose symptoms that develop.

Can You Take Too Much Alimta?

Alimta® (pemetrexed) is a prescription chemotherapy drug that is given by IV. Based on limited information, the specific effects of an overdose with Alimta appear to be similar to the regular side effects that can occur with the medication, although they may be more serious in the case of an overdose.

Effects of an Alimta Overdose

Ideally, an overdose of Alimta would never occur, since this medication is given by IV by trained healthcare professionals. However, some cases have been reported. Overdose effects included:
  • Low neutrophils (a certain type of white blood cell)
  • Anemia
  • Low blood platelets
  • Mouth sores
  • Rash.
All of these are typical Alimta side effects.

Treatment for an Overdose

A medication known as leucovorin may be helpful in treating an Alimta overdose. Leucovorin is similar to folic acid and can help the body recover from Alimta toxicity. In addition, treatment may involve supportive care, which consists of monitoring and treating any symptoms that arise as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have been given too much Alimta.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation




Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.