Doxorubicin and Weight Gain
Doxorubicin and Weight Gain: SuggestionsIf you are noticing an unexplained weight gain with doxorubicin, there are some things that you can do. Some suggestions include:
- Eating a heart-healthy diet. This diet should include heart-healthy foods, such as:
- Lots of fruits, vegetables, grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.
- Limiting foods with saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and added sugars.
- Getting regular physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day on most days of the week.
- Limiting your intake of alcohol.
(Click BMI Calculator to see if your weight is within a healthy range.)
Doxorubicin and Weight Gain: Final ThoughtsIf you are taking doxorubicin and weight gain occurs, talk to your healthcare provider. He or she can give you other suggestions for dealing with any weight gain. If the weight gain continues, he or she may recommend adjusting the doxorubicin dosage or switching to another cancer treatment.